HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Homer Thiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 08:27:00 MST
In regards to early food uses in Kentucky- I purchased a reprint of a cookbook
called "The Kentucky Housewife" by Mrs. Lettice Bryan (1839) Shepard & Stearns,
 W. 3rd St, Cincinnati. The book was reprinted by Image Graphics Inc., PO Box
Paducah, KY 42002-0996.  Recpies include: Stewed Tomatoes, Baked tomatoes, Broil
ed
tomatoes, to dress Tomamtoes Raw, Fried Tomatoes, to Keep Tomatoes Through the
 Winter, Tomato Jumbles, Tomato catchup, and Tomato Soy. It would appear that by
 the
1830s, tomatoes were popular. I would suggest consulting historic cookbooks both
determine what kinds of foods were eaten, as some of the plants eaten then are n
ot
eaten today.