HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 1996 17:20:49 EST
-- [ From: Linda Derry * EMC.Ver #2.5.03 ] --

>What about materials off the Maple Leaf in the St. Johns River, Jacksonville, F
la.  There should be >reports on this excavation in publication and it was fille
d with Union supplies and camp kits when it >sank.  Not exactly an ethnography o
f camp life, but it should provide comparable data on material >culture; also, p
reservation was good, so items which might exist as only fragmentary or partial
>objects on a terrestrial site would probably be represented in more complete fo
rm from the ship.

What year did the Maple Leaf sink?

I'm interested because we are trying to outfit a discovery box - hands-on-reprod
uctions- for kids to use at our archaeological park.  We're trying to put togeth
er a camp kit or knapsack that our Confederate Soldiers left with at the beginni
ng of the war. Much of it was probably US militia issue.   Does any one know of
a similar Confederate ship that sunk early on in the war that has been investiga
ted?  We have the written account of the ladies of our town site sewing the unif
orms, packing the bags and waving a fond farewell to the steamboat as it pulled
away from the dock.  I'd love to look at a good sunken assemblage to fill in the
 specifics.  Any advice, leads, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Linda Derry
Old Cahawba, Alabama