HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 11:04:36 EST
-- [ From: Linda Derry * EMC.Ver #2.5.03 ] --

I've been at SEAC so I hope this is a better late than never reply to Astrid Ops
al about Flood damage.

>Does anybody know where to find experts on flood damage on historic buildings?
Best regards, >Astrid Opsal.

There is a very good article in the "Old House Journal"  March 1991 p. 40 - 43 e
ntitled "Drying-In and Drying-Out, Food-damage lessons from Hurricane Hugo." by
Ward Bucher.

I would also suggest that you contact John Leeke a contributing editor of the Ol
d House Journal and one of the best-recognized "building doctors" in the country
.   He is preparing a draft on preparedness and recovery from flooding and will
gladly share this with you if you review it and return some input to him.  His a
ddress is 26 Higgins St. Portland Maine, 04103.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation also has a Preservation Brief , Tec
hnical leaflet # 82 entitled "Treatment of Flood Damage."  You can contact them
directly or if you send me your snail mail address, the Alabama Historical Commi
ssion will send a copy to you.

Hope this helps.

Linda Derry
Old Cahawba, AHC [log in to unmask]