HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Hedden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 09:51:49 -0600
On Tue, 14 Nov 1995 Mark C. Branstner wrote:

>You say that you excavated your barrel feature to a depth of approximately
>1.2 m and then stopped because of concern for OSHA standards ...

>Oh, the humanity! It might cave in and I'd be buried to my belt buckle!

>They just don't make archaeologists like they used to ...

This recent post has caused a long-time lurker to respond with a new motion,
rather than Ctrl-D.  First, I found it refreshing to see Susan's original
request for information concerning an on-going excavation instead of the
more prominent slander and response that has filled this list in the last
few months. I would like to see the list used more for this purpose, without
the threat of flames of criticism over your intent, motives or background.
Second, I find this post to be dangerous.  You perpetuate a common practice
of neglect in this field for the safety of the people who work with or for
you.  Susan, as the competent person on the site, made the decision to
discontinue the excavations following a safety plan developed by our office
(Journal of the Iowa Archaeological Society Vol. 42 pp.1-7). This office is
full "archaeologists made like they used to" and we have all agreed that no
site is worth the death of a co-worker.  Finally, I would advise every
archaeologist that directs a field project to check the OSHA standards for
open excavations in the earth's surface (29 CFR Part 1926 Subpart P). You
should become familiar with terms such as Soil Types A, B, and C, and
competent person on the site, if for no other reason than so you will
understand what the lawyers are talking about when they are taking your
assets for negligence.

John G. Hedden
Iowa Office of the State Archaeologist