HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Snow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 10:29:58 -0600
Thanks to Dan and Pat for the info on the fishbone feature. I have another
question to pose to the list participants. We excavated (or are in the
process of excavating) six mid-nineteenth century sites in the original
Bowen's Prairie Precint of Jones County, Iowa this field season.  At one of
our sites (not the fishbone site) we excavated a portion of a buried wooden
barrel which would have been approximately 2.5-3 m in diameter and I do not
know how far down it extended. We exposed three barrel straps still in place
with some wood present. We excavated about 1/4 of the barrel's surface
diameter but only to a depth of 120 cm when we were concerned about OSHA
deep excavation and confined space regulations. The barrel was filled in
with ceramics, glass, limestone, mortar and brick from the 1850s and 1860s.
We have speculated that it is  a cistern or possibly a brewing vat or
tanning vat. Any experience with similar features or ideas. The closest
comparison we have found so far is an article on 16th century florida buried
barrels for water storage!

Thanks alot for you help.

Susan R. Snow
Office of the State Archaeologist