HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
MIKE JACOBS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 23:24:25 -0700
Smoke et al.,

Well said, Smoke!  A major responsibility of being a professional in this,
or any, field, is sharing information.  Sometimes we do it formally by way
of monographs and journal articles, more often we do it informally, by
snail mail, email, or over our beverages of choice.  None of us will ever
be able to publish all the random bits of data we have in our gray cells
and filing cabinets.  I don't mind giving what I have to anyone who makes
the effort to frame an intelligent question, especially to students who
haven't yet developed research skills or the serious amateurs/avocationals
who don't have easy access to the excellent libraries (University of
Arizona & Arizona State Museum) that I have.  Its actually part of my job
description and that of every other curator at ASM to provide information
to students, colleagues, and the general public.  These folks (or their
parents) are paying our salaries, but even if they weren't, it would still
be our obligation.

Mike