HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"L. Daniel Mouer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 1994 10:02:55 EDT
Don,

I don't think this is the only we one we've found, but it's the one
that came to mind first of all: an Irish halfpenny, tinned copper,
marked with Elizabeth's cipher "ER," with English arms and harp,
dated 1601.  This came from the Jordan-Farrar Site of Jordan's
Journey, from a buttery cellar in Structure 4 (Feature 320,
excavation unit # 889 (Southwest quadrant). Reference: L. Daniel
Mouer, Douglas C. McLearen, R. Taft Kiser, Christopher P. Egghart,
Beverly J. Binns and Dane T. Magoon, 1992: Jordan's Journey: Volume
I, A preliminary report on archaeology at Site 44PG302, Prince George
County. Prepared for The Virginia Department of Historic Resources
and The National Geographic Society.  Virginia Commonwealth
University Archaeologicao Research Center. Context date:
Harrington-Binford date of 1625, based on 320 stems. General site
occupation date is ca. 1620-1635.

If I can think of more, I'll send the info along.
Dan