HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Silas Hurry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 1994 18:23:50 -0400
In reference to the ongoing discussion of "tobacco spit", "Mocha" etc., it
seems we have two distinct types of ceramic (a red pasted, domestic
ceramic and varying refined earthenwares) being tossed around together.
Noel Hume's A Guide to Artifacts of Colonial America discusses mocha in
reference to primarily a pearlware body - calling the banded wares annular
wares (I have also heard slip banded, engine turned etc.) and
differentiating those with a "brown, fern-like ornament" as mocha.  He
then cites the recipe (tobacco juice and urine).  Another term to
differentiate this "flavor" of mocha from other varieties of annular wares
is referring to those with the fern-like decoration as dendritic mocha.
Regardless of the name, one of the best collections of illustrations of
this stuff that I have seen recently is Antiques Magazine (August 1993)
which is based on an incredible exhibit that was hosted by the DeWitt
Wallace Gallery at Colonial Williamsburg.  The exhibit was stunning.  As
for "mocha" appearing on a creamware body - I have seen examples on a late
creamware body with the standard annular decoration, and some that had a
bit of the "wormy", common cable or "fingerpainted" decoration.  George
Miller groups all of these decorations under a potters' term "dipped" or
"dipt" wares since they had the same purchase price vis a vis undecorated
ceramics, ie. "c.c. ware" (see Miller, Economic Scaling ...)
        About the decoration - my understanding is that the "tobacco Juice
and urine" combo provides the pigment and more importantly, the catalyst
that breaks the surface tension of the glaze in the kiln providing the
dendritic effect.  I have seen the same effect achieved on U. S.
yellow wares from the 19th century executed in blue (cobalt).
        The red pasted ceramic is something else altogether, compared to the
white bodied ceramics, both in terms of date and provenance.  Perhaps a
similar surface tension breaking phenomena is involved using a similar
combination of materials.
        Students often regret having "tongue tested" for earthenware paste
upon learning the recipe for dendritic mocha.