HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
GORDON POLLARD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 1994 09:45:12 -0500
Listmembers:
        I would greatly appreciate some help in locating references that deal
with the makers/distributors of fire brick for use in 19th century iron
industry bloomery forges and blast furnaces of the NE U.S.  I and students
have been working at one of the larger bloomery forge sites of the Adirondack
region of NE New York, and one of the bricks we have is marked
"Rufford / Stourbridge".  Can anyone help identify the location of this
and other brickmakers?  Also, if anyone has done research on the equipment
used at bloomery forges, such as triphammers, and where this equipment was
produced, I would greatly appreciate you sharing any references you may have
run across.  If others are interested, I will of course be glad to post a
listing of the references I receive.
        Thanks in advance.

Gordon Pollard
Anthropology Department