HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
BIll Wheaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 1995 13:04:27 -0500
Historical archaeologists have been using metal detectors for years.  Why
this sudden surprise at their use?

The last time I saw a metal detector being used by a non-archaeologist was at
the Gettysburg Battlefield right next to the signs saying that it was a crime
to do so.  After we pointed this out to the park ranger, they were stopped,
their detector was taken away, their car searched, and they were taken down
to the office.  I do not know what happened thereafter, but it wasn't
archaeology.  They had come all the way from Montana for a little detecting.

I wholeheartedly agree that we should not be holier-than-thou and should try
to bring these folks into the fold, but I am a little tired of people
justifying their activities because they do not know any better, are
misunderstood, or aren't really doing any damage.  Name a Civil War
battlefield that has a tenth of what it had 20 years ago.

Tom Wheaton                           Opinions Expressed Are My Own
New South Associates                  and Other Usual Disclaimers
6150 East Ponce de Leon Ave.
Stone Mountain, Georgia  30083
404 498 4155