HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 13:57:01 -0400
Ron

> Jim,
>
> The purpose of my response on glass & ceramic insulators
> was to pass on an obscure and valuable reference to a
> colleague.  It does not matter if the author is dead.

It matters if you are trying to obtain a copy of a book that the author
published and distributed himself.  As I indicated, I believe that Jack Tod
gave his remaining copies to Elton Gish before his death.

> I have assisted folks when asked because it delights me
> to share from my library and to assist if requested.
> I value the info sent on the lists from folks like Anita
> and Smoke.  And, I understand that many people new to
> archaeology or local history work are seeking guidance.

I am not certain of your point.  I, too, enjoy sharing information.

> This issue raised by the person at Berkeley is not new.
> We have it from time to time, and always from a university
> based individual who is proud of their personal abilities
> to research the local stacks at their tax-funded library.
> The comment annoys me, so I finally responded.

Again, I am not sure of the context of your remark but "always" certainly
suggests an over-generalization.

Jim Murphy