From:
"Gordon L. Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 May 1995 13:29:44 GMT
Dave Green writes:

[lots of stuff omitted]

>    Sometimes there is no bloom in the crop to be sprayed, but there are
> weeds.  We've been hit from mustard in wheat, goldenrod in corn, and clover
> in orchards.  In each case it was a violation, as bees were foraging.  It
> doesn't matter if it is the crop, or if it is weeds; the key is, are bees
> foraging.

Also,  aphids,  because  bees  will  sometimes  work  *them*   for
'honeydew'.   This  can  be a particularly problem because if it's
worth the bees while to work them, the  aphids  are  probably  the
target pest.

Incidently, A problem we've had here recently is the  local  water
supplier  treating  the  _drinking_water_supply_ with pesticide in
the spring & autumn (fall) -- just when we're feeding syrup.   Now
they  know  it's a problem, at least they tell us they're going to
do it.

> Monitor hives are a good tool, and I have made offers for years to provide
> free monitor hives for applicators.

How do you use these please?

>    One of our vector control (mosquito) county directors just sent me a
> certified letter demanding that I give him all my locations, so he could
> notify me when they are going to spray. He has by this means, declared his
> intention to use the material without regard to label directions, as I told
> him they would be sufficiently protected if he followed them.

Could he possibly be trying  to  protect  both  you  and  he  from
mistakes?   I  guess  that  mosquito spraying is mostly in water &
boggy areas where it will probably be impossible to totally  avoid
bee forage. Of course I may be being naive here!

>    We must always be clear in all our dealings that we are talking about
> misuse, not use of pesticides.  We understand the necessary role of
> pesticides in agriculture, beekeepers have to have them, too.  But we also
> must bring to justice those who misuse them, or the problem will never stop.

And I'd like to get them on *our* side if possible.  They need  us
and they're *starting* to realise how much.

Regards,
--
Gordon Scott          [log in to unmask]   Compuserve 100332,3310
Basingstoke Beekeeper [log in to unmask]