From:
ADC Administor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 1994 10:17:53 +1000
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1994 10:17:53 +1000 (EST)
From: "Steven Andrews" <[log in to unmask]>

Allen Dick 546-2588 writes:

> We currently use burlap sacks cut into strips on a bandsaw for fuel.  Can
> lite a smoker in 20 seconds that will burn all day, using a 6 inch square
> piece of newspaper crumpled up to start.
>
> Best fuel we've used was dried corn cobs from Ontario.  Used Pine
> shavings at one time - smelled much nicer than sacks.  We went through a
> period of using corrugated cardboard strips 3 imnches wide rolled up to
> fit the smoker bore.  Worked well, but got to be too much work.

I'm not sure how many different methods there is in lighting up a smoker,
(maybe we can make it into a discussion), but the way my dad has always
done it is as follows:

He would get a hessian sack, (the type you used to buy potatoes in), cut it
into a 6 x 3 inch strip, put it in the smoker and light it.  It would
catch on very quickly. (depending if the sack was dry or not). After it was
producing white smoke, he would add either, a eucalypt branch or a
cypress branch which would cool the smoke and made it last longer, maybe
due to the sap and oils from the branches. He would use it all day without
touching it again.

Could anyone verify if this is a common technique among apiatrists!

Steven.

--
Steven Andrews
Configuration Manager / Software Engineer