From:
Adam Finkelstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 1994 07:44:23 -0400
 Adrian wrote:
>The AFB
> smell was described as a "Glue pot" smell.  I have no idea what this
> smells like, so can anyone enlighten me/us??

 Hives w/AFB smell--the odor is reminiscent of dead fish/glue, glue being
made from old animal bones... a thick, foul odor.
 Sometimes the brood may die and this also smells, in fact the two (dead
brood and AFB) are hard to tell apart by smell alone, and one should always
go through all the diagnostic test before making a disease assessment.
 Larvae that "ropes" is always the last test I do on a suspect hive, and
this has been 100% effective in AFB identification, using all other
descriptives as well.
 A hive that smells "wrong" should always be inspected. I use my sense of
smell more than most people, but rely on it _ only_ as an indicator for AFB
detection, not as a diagnostic tool.
(Remember to clean your hands, hive tool and to discard any twigs
or sticks used in testing in a spot away from the bees.)
 Now about perfume...
Adam
--
 Adam Finkelstein   [log in to unmask]     [log in to unmask]