From:
Mark Gaddy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 1995 21:01:56 -0400
I am a beekeeper of Central Texas, I currently have 10 hives by the end of
Monday I would like to have only 9. I've been keeping bees for 5 years now,
but been interested for 20.
My problem started with a mid summer swarm, which I wouldn't have caught
except it landed at the place I work. I joined it with a weakening spring
swarm I had caught months before. I joined them after first killing the first
queen. Now about 2 months later the population has exploded to very stong
hive.Two weeks ago  I went into this and other hives, unfortunatly without
smoke( it went out and I didn't have a match), and this was the only hot
hive. Last week I went in at early evening, still about 2 hours of light, and
again the hive was hot and the others not. Today, I was pulling the last of
the crop, which has been very good, most of the hives didn't even notice I
was there, but this same colony was all over me. It must have followed me
300+ yards. I very seriously  doubt that it is Africanized, but not willing
to take a chance.
After all this my question is, what is the quickest, safest, and most redily
available way to exterminate this colony, without destroying the equipment. I
have thought about burning some sulfur in my smoker, but I know it is very
dangerous. So what do yall( told you I was from Texas) think I should do
about this colony???

       Mark