Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1992 11:34:44 EST
   I worked with the "adansoni" in Brazil. They are NOT killer bees. It's
a kind of histerical reaction created by their agressivity (undoubtedly more
agressive than the Europeans) and some Hollywood movies. When the "accident"
happened in Brazil during the 50's (I'm not quite sure it was an accident)
the beekeping activity was destroyed. The beekeepers were used to the calm
ligustica and other docile varieties. I am not an expert in genetics, but I
know that something happened over the time with the Africans. They seemed to
have mixed and today they are called "africanized" bees in Brazil. After a lot
of accidents with the "first wave" of agressive bees (late 50's and 60's)
many traditional beekeepers gave up the activity. Honey production fell to insi
gnificant levels and the demand was met by the criminal production of "backyard
made honey"! However, since the mid- 70's, people realized that the African bee
s have some nice features. The most important: they are far more productive tha
n the Italian, Carnica, Caucasian, etc... Thus, new techniques were developed
to handle them. Hives were put more distant from each other, gloves and boots
(white) became a necessary part of the indumentary and a large...(Gosh, I do no
t know the English word for "fumegador", the stuff that produces smoke.Can some
body help me?) "that thing" were introduced in the beekeeping practice.
  Some people tried to reintroduce the Europeans. There are still some guys who
firmly believe in the re-europeization. Most of the Brazilian beekeepers today
disagree with this position. They realized that the Africanized bee has an as-
tounishing work capacity; it is far more productive than any other European
variety. I myself made some  experiments with ligusticas and carnicas. Nice, be
aultiful and docile bees. Yes, they produce honey. But nothing compared to the
africanized bees. When the flowers blossoned in the field I forgot the European
s and filled bottles of honey with the hard-work africanized.
  Oh, yes. Another advantage over the Europeans. The adansoni seems to be more
resistant to infections and varroa (mite? Is that the English name?).
However, I must mention a bad thing. They have a strong tendency to swarm and
leave. But a lot of research has been conducted in order to overcome this tende
ncy and select africanized queens with the best qualities.

Sincerely,
Danilo Fonseca
(almost three years in Washington, D.C.. How I miss "my" bees...)