From:
malcolm roe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1993 14:07:09 +0100
I've just finished extracting some supers.  Whilst uncapping I noticed
3 cells with brood in them.  The two that were capped were certainly
drone cells (domed capping) but in worker sized cells.  I assume the
third was as well although it wasn't capped.  The frames were all in
supers from the same hive although I lost track of the particular hive
whilst moving them.  All the hives from which I took supers are queenright
and healthy with plenty of brood in all stages.  I inspected them a few
days earlier.  None of the queens are older than about 1 year.  I use
queen excluders.

I assume I have one or more laying workers.  I can't imagine that the
queen got through the excluder, laid 3 eggs and then returned to the
brood chamber.  I'm not worried from a practical point of view but I'm
interested.  I had believed that workers only start laying when deprived
of a queen for some time.  I suppose it's possible that some workers
lay eggs in most colonies but we just don't notice it because the queen
is much more prolific.  I'd be interested to hear other people's
comments or experience.

--
Malcolm Roe                            Phone  :  +44 442 230000 ext 4104
Crosfield Electronics Ltd              Fax    :  +44 442 232301