From:
Malcolm Roe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 1994 14:03:07 +0100
This only concerns beekeepers in the British Isles.

Clive de Bruyn is conducting a survey of British beekeepers.  He intends
to follow the progress of varroa through the British Isles and the
consequent changes in beekeeping practice.  The background is best
explained by the following extract from the notes that accompany the
survey form.

        "It will be of interest to future generations to know how
beekeeping is practiced at the present time and what changes, if any,
varroasis will bring about.  There are few reliable stastics to show
how Acarapis woodi affected beekeeping at the beginning of this century,
only a great deal of speculation.  The progress of an exotic parasite
and its effect on its new host should be of interest to workers in many
areas of beekeeping and allied fields.  I have obtained funding from
the "Perry Foundation" to collect and collate information over the next
three years about the spread of varroa and how beekeepers cope with
varroasis."

This sounds like useful work to which we can all contribute.  I did
think of typing in the whole survey form but I'm too lazy!  Many
beekeeping associations will be distributing forms to their members.
However, if any Brtitish Isles beekeepers don't get a form and wish to
assist I'm sure Clive would be only too happy to send you one.

He can be contacted as follows:-

Clive de Bruyn
Writtle College
Chelmsford
Essex
CM1 3RR

Telephone: (0245) 420705

--
Malcolm Roe                            Phone  :  +44 442 230000 ext 5104
Crosfield Electronics Ltd              Fax    :  +44 442 232301