From:
Rick Hough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1993 10:04:28 EST
Brad -
  I agree with Lois - check first on local regulations, they do vary widely.
1/2 acre is small, but workable - there are a number of methods that can
be utilized to minimize the impact of an apiary (bee-yard) on your neighbors:
hive placement, strategic use of obsticles (hedges) to influence bee flight
paths, being sure to provide water so the bees don't go visit your neighbor's
pool, are a few examples.  I have heard stories of a beekeeper who keeps
several (two, I think) hives on her patio in an apartment  complex in
Cambridge, MA (definitely URBAN!), and her bees do quite well, generating
significant amounts of surplus honey every year.  The moral of that story is
the bees seem to be able to find forage in many areas one wouldn't consider
to be prime nectar territory.  Also, although 1/2 acre is small, the bees don't
understand property lines, so they will visit the whole neighborhood collecting
nectar, pollenating everyone's flowers, gardens, etc.  So, it helps (a lot)
to have understanding neighbors!  Contact me directly if you are interested
in more details on hive placement strategies, etc.

Rick Hough, a beekeeper in Hamilton, MA, USA
Internet: [log in to unmask]