From:
Edward E Southwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1992 14:41:14 -0400
We are attempting to get a better understanding of just how
bees find their way around out in the field.  The key interest for
us is how they find their way back home once they are out foraging
somewhere.  Do they always find their own home? Or do they sometimes
end up in other nearby or not so nearby hive? When we had a
class of students marking bees in small hives, many marked bees
were found days later in the wrong hives.  We would appreciate
data, information, and especially literature references on how
honey bee workers (or any other hymenopteran) find their way back
home, and what might be their error in doing so thus ending up in
the wrong hive...Thank you BEE-LINERS for your help...
e.southwick, SOUTHWIK@Brock1P,  FAX 716-395-2416