From:
David Schmitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 1994 15:27:24 -0500
Hello everyone-

        After reading through all the discussion lately about the volume
of mail you all have been recieving, I am certainly sensitive to
considering whether or not a message I may send is appropriate - and I
hope that I am not violating any etiquite but I wanted to get some of
your expert opinions on a subject I'm sure many of you are interested in.

        Recently our apple crop discussion group has had some discussion
about what we should be recommending for the number of hives per acre.
there is concern among some in the industry that feral bee populations are
absent or declining, and there is concern also that our current
recommendations may not be adequate for high density plantings of 500 or
1,000 or more trees per acre. I wanted to get the perspective of the
beekeeper to send back to the group. We would greatly appreciate any
comments that you may have.

Some of the concerns expressed by our group:

The following comments are from John Ridley, Emeritus Professor, Horticulture
and from Mike Hood, Extension Apiculturist, Clemson University. I forwarded the
question to them and wanted to share their response with the group.

In upstate South Carolina, we have a serious problem with a lack of feral honey
bees. I have noticed this for several years. Ten years ago, I could go to my
research peach orchard near Clemson during full bloom and hear the bees from the
truck. Now, even on a calm, sunny day with temperatures in the upper 70's I have
to check four or five trees before I see a honey bee. I have also noticed this
at my home in Clemson on various shrubs that are highly attractive to honey bees
during bloom.

I agree with Mike's comments about needing much more information about the
whole system.

Clyde S. Gorsuch
Extension Entomologist
Clemson Univ. - Entomology Dept.         Phone: 803 656-5043
109 Long Hall                            FAX:   803 656-5065
Box 340365                               Internet:  [log in to unmask]
Clemson, SC 29634-0365

From:   EUREKA::JRIDLEY      "John Ridley"  7-JAN-1994 16:18:05.28

I think the 1 hive to 1 acre is not enough if we experience poor pollination
weather.  We had all of the wild bees to help and now those are gone.  Seems
that the more bees the larger the apples.  Need all the king blooms to set.

From:   EUREKA::MHOOD     "Mike Hood"   17-JAN-1994 14:44:48.70

I recommend 1-2 bee colonies per acre of trees.  This is not based on field
studies, but has been gleaned from growers and beekeepers.

Oconee Co. growers come up short on this recommendation.  They grow the 27-30
tress per acre.  Many I suspect are not getting sufficient pollination.  Feral
colonies are almost non-existent.

On the other hand, our large Granny Smith apple producer have the modern
planting method on trellis.  Last year they rented 400-450 colonies for their
650-700 acres of apples.  Had good production, I thought for S.C.  The
operation has a new manager this year and I'm not sure of his pollination
plans.

We need more factual information to base our recommendation in the apple
area as well as the Strawberry, Watermelon, Cucumber, etc.  I highly suspect
our total insect pollinator populations have decloined over the past 3-4
decades due to pesticide use and feel certain that our honey bee feral colonies
have been effected by Tracheal and Varroa Mites over the past 5 years.