From:
"Conrad A. Berube" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1993 08:39:47 PST
I found some, not all, of the fecetious (that's an intentional misspelling,
by the way) postings to be more than irritating and forwarded them on to a
friend that I thought might be able to do something about them.  If they
continue to appear it would seem that skipping over any postings from the
offending parties would be the most Ghandian alternative.  Next to that
you could forward the messages to the sysop at their point of origin and
ask that action be taken.  Here is a portion of the response I received
from my friend:

>Date: Sat Dec 11 08:37:53 1993
>From: MNTENBE@*******.*****.FBI.GOV (Mary Ntenbe)
>Subject:  Junkmail to your newsgroup
>
>C,
>
>In regards to the messages you forwarded.
>
>I authorized a trace and at least one of the individuals sending
>them appears to be using an alias.
>
>Most of the messages appear innocuous.  A couple contain rhetoric
>that could be considered as contravening federal hate-mail
>regulations. You are correct in assuming that sexist, in this case
>anti-male, hate-mail is covered by these laws.  Keep forwarding me
>the offensive messages and I will append them to the respective
>files.  At the very least this documentation may result in the
>suspension of Internet privileges for the offending parties and
>possible black-listing from graduate schools or government employ
>(if they ever apply for such), if not stricter censure.
>
>I agree that all of the messages are irritating but remember you
>can always check the message header and skip over postings from
>the individuals involved.  One individual's security file shows
>fairly extensive psychological counseling, so you may wish to
>factor this into your tolerance threshold.
>
>Take care,
>
>Mary

"Ignorance is bliss" (yes, I know that's only a portion of the quote) so
maintain your bliss by ignoring the irritating postings.

Conrad