Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
KIRK VISSCHER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 1991 11:48:00 PST
The reference for the dead bee trap Norm Gary designed is
A trap to quantitatively recover dead and abnormal honey bees from the hive.
J. Econ. Ent.  53:782-785.
I used this trap sucessfully in my studies of undertaker bees.  The main
problems I encountered were that the vaseline which prevents undertakers with
corpses from walking out of the trap needed to be reapplied periodically, and
that foraging yellow jackets would fly into the trap, cut up the corpses, and
carry them away.
However, Norm himself no longer uses these traps, and he would be the best
person to contact as the pros and cons of different designs.  One caution: it
is considerably easier to build the Gary trap than some of the other designs.
Good trapping.