From:
Russ Litsinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:26:47 -0600
>Bayles, V. R., & Parker, R. L. (1958). Winter protection of honeybee colonies in Kansas. Amer. Bee J., 98(9), 360-363.

I could not find this particular paper, but I found his Masters Thesis which appears to cover the same ground:

https://krex.k-state.edu/bitstream/handle/2097/24912/LD2668T41954B39.pdf?sequence=1

The Review of Literature itself is worth the price of admission and reminds me afresh there truly is nothing new under the sun.

Too bad the study only had two colonies of each treatment (i.e. 8 colonies total) and that colonies 'E' and 'F' (double insulated) were a different genetic basis than the others.

What sort of insulation value would c. 1950's Celotex have had?

Also interesting that while the tar-paper wrapped colonies performed the best in terms of stores consumed, the double insulated colonies performed better than the single insulated, and that the colonies with only a windbreak had the largest brood area of the paired variables in the spring.