Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2023 08:55:49 -0400
From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>

> First, I wonder why a break in brood rearing occurs this time of the year
> in NC.

In my experience, it's a combination of genetics and resource availability.
Not all of my yards will shut down for a few weeks in late summer/early
fall, presumably because they're still foraging on something. And not all
of my colonies will shut down within a yard. Typically my more Russian
leaning genetics will cut the spigot of brood off fast, while my Italian
leaning genetics will try to keep it going for as long as possible.

And is it also conceivable that the higher sample rates are BECAUSE there
> is so little capped brood for the mites to occupy and no larvae
> reaching the stage to be capped soon?  Would the sample rates be higher
> because most if not all of the adult mites are on adult bees?

Correct. If you sample monthly, you'll notice a sudden spike in mites right
after a brood break. It isn't uncommon for me to see 1% levels before a
break, and 3% just after a break. It's something to keep in mind and
consider as you manage your colonies throughout the year. A 0.5%
infestation level with wall to wall brood may be more potentially damaging
in 30 days than a 1% infestation level with zero brood. It's also why a 1%
infestation level in June isn't alarming to me, but would be grounds for
treatment in August.

Justin
Oak Ridge, NC