From:
John Chesnut <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2023 16:33:21 -0500
The "Ile de Groix" case shows **enormous** churn in "adherent" apiaries between 2008 and 2022 resample.   The Ile de Groix apiaries are defined as adherent if they conform to the management proscriptions of the key figure, Christian Bargain.   This includes non-treatment and no feeding.

Not all apiaries on the island are "adherent", including the majority of colonies, as the non-adherent apiaries had larger numbers.

I spent a bit of time tracing the apiaries shown on the 2008 mapping and the 2022 mapping.

In my research, when I cross correlate the apiary placements shown on the 2008 map with the 2022 map, I detect 5 apiaries with continuity which are "adherent" and 2 apiaries with 2008-2022 continuity which are "non-adherent". All other apiaries mapped in 2022 were not mapped as living in 2008 (though some placements were "abandoned" in 2008 and have restarted).  The map identifies 13 "Ruchers de non adherents". (or "Apiaries of NON adherents") and 24 Apiaries of the association ASAN.GX and "adherents".

I would want to know what the "non-adherent" perspective on the "triumphalist" accounts of surviving bees are. It seems likely to me that beekeepers on the ground, including many sites (and presumably experienced beekeepers) DO NOT accept the proscriptions of the ASAN.GX group.

The map Pettis presents on feral colony locations have spring and fall tallies for recent years: Wild/Feral colonies peak at 51 in the autumn, but drop to 34 in the following spring -- indicating overwinter die off on the order of 35%.

I maintain the level of "churn" observed in apiaries starting and blinking out is similar to the "churn" you see in Treatment Free hobby beekeeping in North America.
If "resistant" or "resilient" is defined as a beekeeper staying in the game for more than 14 years, then the Ile de Groix data says this in not the case.