From:
Dan Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2024 13:35:10 -0400
I don't normally post on this exchange, preferring to sit back and
listen/learn from those with far more knowledge and experience with the
science of beekeeping. I also more often than not enjoy the counter points,
at times bristly discussions and sometimes anecdotal stories of
transporting 'mind altering substances' in a load of bees. I do however
take issue with trying to belittle someone who takes a moral stand on not
smuggling or breaking laws and normalizing the illegal import of bees or
other agricultural products. We live in a global world and pests/diseases
are likely to spread regardless of efforts to limit them or even to stop
them once there, like the varroa in Australia. However normalizing negative
behaviors and actions while making any kind of belittling statement
("Everyone who is anyone has done it.") or status judgments are at the root
of so much of our societal problems. It doesn't matter if it is
smuggling queen bees in "Sharp-bee' pens, or shipping containers of
laundered honey from other countries, the negative impacts are real.