From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2023 12:40:09 -0500
Since it is impossible for us to truly understand the mental function of another life form we tend to project our own "feelings" on to them. I believe that a large part of this discussion revolves around empathy. Broadly defined it is the ability to be aware of and sensitive to the well being of others. Easily recognized and widely shared in humans it has also been observed in other animals from primates to canines and even rodents. There are many examples of cross species empathy.

There is a lot of benefit to both the giver and receiver and I can not think of an example of harm. I don't pretend to know the full extent of a bee's (or any other life's) cognition. Seeking comfort and avoiding pain are pretty universal and useful behaviors on a self preservation scale for all life. It is a bit trickier to find benefit to oneself when extending empathy to others, either people of animals but I know that it makes me feel better. So even though I can't know if my bees feel pain I treat them as if they do. I must say however that I have no evidence of reciprocity on the little darlings part!

In all aspects of life one can not improve much on the Golden Rule.

Paul