From:
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2023 10:32:19 -0800
> Just because a drop in ambient temperature triggers cluster formation, we
can't assume heat conservation is the sole driver of clustering.
> Except that [honey bees] can, and do [survive cold winters and in
ventilated uninsulated boxes]

This is one of the better discussions that we've had on the List.
We've got input from the perspective of engineers, biologists, and
observative beekeepers.

It's led me to review a lot of research in order to make sense of it all,
since because colonies can survive just fine in either insulated cavities
with minimal ventilation as well
as in uninsulated cavities with top and bottom vents, I'm trying in my head
to reconcile how this can be.  And it's giving me ideas for yet another
experimental setup.

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
530 277 4450