Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable
Message-ID:
Sender:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
What would an "unbiased" AI look like? What would "unbiased" look like? To be unbiased, one would have to have no interests. The word for someone with no interests is "dead." An unbiased AI, or judge, or human, is a dangerous fantasy. It is when one believes that one can be unbiased and "objective" that one feels justified imposing, oppressing, and silencing. 

It is crucial to remember that every human - and every machine created by humans - is biased, and to forgo the fantasy that it could be otherwise. We are not gods; we necessarily have particular perspectives. I cannot imagine how a human could survive without defining and categorizing. It is important when one is hungry to eat something from the category "food", rather than from the category "poison" or "rock."  

Defining and categorizing are not the problem.  Defining and categorizing are essential human activities and, like most, they can be done poorly or well. You cannot help someone improve a skill if you pretend the skill has no value.

§

The computer scientist Geoffrey Hinton gave a lecture to "Are We Doomed?" a course at the University of Chicago. Hinton—who was a leader in the development of machine learning and who, since resigning from Google, last year, has become a public authority on A.I. threats—was asked about the efficacy of safeguards on A.I.  

A student followed up with a question about what careers he saw being eliminated by A.I. He recommended becoming a plumber. “We all think what’s special about us is our intelligence, but it might be the sort of physiology of our bodies is what’s, in the end, the last thing that’s better,” he said.

§

No forms of AI were employed in the composition of this message. Sources available on request.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2