Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2023 13:37:59 -0400
Sender:
From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
> Could we please have some evidence that climate change is a primary cause of habitat loss, rather than human encroachment, chemical contamination, and other factors.

Sure - here's just the most recent reason why everyone needs to take their kids to Australia or Thailand to see a real viable living coral reef very soon, as it may be the last chance they get to see one.

The sole proximate cause?  Temperature, and temperature alone.

https://apnews.com/article/coral-bleaching-florida-keys-climate-change-64486911bff24e31c6673927de6aae84
https://tinyurl.com/2m8rhvv9

In contrast to the above, in the 1980s, I would sail first "Grasshopper" from Key West to Dry Tortugas, anchor, and enjoy the reef that was there within an easy swim of the beach, was amazingly colorful, and featured Giant Groupers the size of a 1970s Volkswagen Super Beetles.  The reef is long since dead, there just aren't any decent reefs in the western hemisphere any more.  These days they have both airplanes and hydrofoil ferries to Dry Tortugas, but the reef is no longer an attraction.