From:
Russ Litsinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2023 22:05:08 +0000
>... it's actually more complicated than that...

Indeed. And when we talk about adaptation we tend to think in genetic terms, but as we've talked about over the past several weeks, adaptation (at least in terms of the honey bee - varroa mite - virus complex) can be represented by a host of genetic, epigenetic, behavioral and environmental factors that represent several different modes of selective pressure.

Thankfully it appears that these actors are finding some semblance of balance in the resistant populations around the globe - which might yield some clues about how we might be able to collectively manage out of our present morass.