From:
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2023 06:33:01 -0700
I've heard that they are in the process.
I've just completed a field trial (216 hives) to test five different
matrices at three different ratios of OA to glycerin to water, plus citric
acid.
My point is that we are still on the learning curve as to what are the
optimal application methods for extended-release acids.
Getting one formulation to market would be nice, but beekeepers will likely
continue to experiment.

FYI, I sent a letter to EPA  back in July, asking for clarification as to
whether the Agency had actually made a decision to regulate beekeeper own
use of unregistered generic organic acids and thymol for varroa control in
the U.S.  The letter made it to the top of EPA, we have had Zoom
discussion, and they still have a group of lawyers working on an answer.

In short, as of this time, EPA has not yet given our industry (my letter
was also submitted by ABF, AHPA, and some Senate staff) an answer as to
whether they have decided to regulate such use.  Anyone who says that it is
not legal to do so is making an unsupported assumption.

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
530 277 4450
ScientificBeekeeping.com