From:
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2023 20:43:50 -0700
> I think it's worth questioning what are the significant differences
between evolution (which proceeds in an undirected fashion) and breeding
(which is by definition, goal oriented). Can the results of the two be
compared? Would we expect the results to be similar?

The Gottland experiment showed that results can be very different, since
there are any number of ways that bees can evolve to deal with mites.
As beekeepers, we'd prefer bees that create large, productive colonies,
don't continually swarm, and that are gentle.
With selective breeding, you can select for a resistant bee that also has
other desirable traits that Mother Nature wouldn't necessarily select for.

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
530 277 4450
ScientificBeekeeping.com