From:
Russ Litsinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:23:11 -0600
>So, the author is stating that his model tells him that BEES IN TREE
CAVITIES ONLY RARELY CLUSTER.   Do we need to go any further with a model
that says something so easily disproven by a wide consensus of observations?

It appears that the back and forth today covered most of the inquiries posed
relative to summer dynamics but I did not see any feedback on the
overwintering strategy of feral colonies.

To my knowledge, there has been very little research done into the
overwintering dynamics of colonies living in trees in temperate climates.

The one person I am aware of who has looked at this in some detail is Torben
Schiffer, and he touches on some of his observations in the following talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaDFOnIDaHg

Dr. Seeley has conducted some measurements into tree cavities, but at last
check this study has not been replicated with occupants (see attached).