From:
Etienne Tardif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2023 00:17:55 -0400
Background:
I fed my colonies their 1st patties two days ago to trigger broodrearing. They haven't really had a partial cleanse so far. I removed my extra front insulation to allow the entrances to warm up faster and take advantage of our longer days and stronger sun. 3 of 4 colonies are starting to brood up based on my temperature measures. 2 had increased internal temperatures to +31C within 3 hours of adding the patties. In the process of adding the patties via my small feeder slot I sampled 4-5 live random bees off the cluster for testing. 3 of the colonies either had very minor Nosema or were clean. One colony again this year tested 75% for severe Nosema and Amoeba (3 of 4 bees). It is also the colony that has yet to show a temperature rise. If the colony doesn't heat up (>30C) over the next couple of days, I predict that it will be dead by mid May. The infected colony is the only colony that remained in my home yard (location of previous infection) and not moved to any of my out yards. It also had 2 queen failures/rejections before finally accepting a new queen late in the season.

Observations:
In observing a bee tonight I noticed stone like objects accumulated in the Malphigian Tubules of a bee. I have seen similar in the past, but this one seemed very severe to the point of what looked like irritated/damaged tubules. Just wondering if anyone had ever read or seen anything on this subject. This was a dissected bee so the hind gut content did not contaminate the slide.

Note: I promised some Amoeba infected slides to a couple of people. Looks like I will have a bunch of nice specimens from my one infected colony. I mount most of my slides in clear PVA-G so that in the case of something interesting the slide is preserved and added to my collection.

1st 2 images are at x400. the last image is actually at x100 so the scale is wrong.

My sensor setup to measure brood nest size: https://youtu.be/St7ljgnlzlw