From:
Russ Litsinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2023 21:40:26 +0000
>What exactly does mite drop mean here?  substrate? etc

Good question. I currently employ screened bottom boards equipped with shallow trays beneath them, creating a tight seal against the bottom rim of the bottom board.

Inside the tray I place a piece corrugated plastic sheeting the same dimensions as the tray.

When conducting assays, I first thoroughly clean the sheeting and then apply a very light coating of aerosol cooking spray.

I conduct two assays with the trays as a rule:

1. A 72 hour mite drop assay at each change of season (i.e. as  near to the equinox / solstice as weather and availability will allow).

2. A winter mite damage assay.

I have seen many interesting and thoughtful approaches to mite drop assays, so no claims that this by any means the 'best' approach. Simply what I've been able to settle on doing in a consistent manner during the same seasonal periods each year.