From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2023 19:58:37 -0500
> The paper supports that even slightly chilled bees are less resistant to
some pathogens.

I read the paper and was surprised at the results, given the slight temperature variations. I found the assays complicated, but the figures helped, except for figure 4. The cold-stressed assay using temps in the 80s isn't my idea of cold-stressing bees. I was reading and thinking that bees in the cluster's mantle naturally live for long intervals at low temperatures in winter. Winter aside, bees are constantly subjected to various hive temperatures, many of which are in the 80s. How are natural hive temperatures implicated in the study's results?

Most of us already know how the study's assessment of strong versus weak colonies would turn out. I expect weak colonies to die and, even if they don't, I would expect their gene expression to indicate protein deficiencies when compared to strong colonies.

If, as the study suggests, the activation of SIRT1 gene expression by SRT1720, could extend the lifespan of cold-stressed bees,  it would be interesting since the study of SRT1720 shows potential.