From:
Russ Litsinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2022 12:35:57 -0600
This question is interesting to me so in researching it, I came across the
following recent study prepared by more than a score of members of the
COLOSS group as a part of their SmartBees initiative:

https://bmcgenomics.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12864-021-07379-7

In this research they report in part that:

Based on pool-sequence data from 1995 worker bees representing 22
populations, four evolutionary lineages and 14 subspecies, we selected 4400
informative SNPs employing two powerful and commonly used approaches (FST
and PCA). Of these, 4165 SNPs, for which probes could be designed and which
passed the BeadChip decoding quality metric, were genotyped in 3903
individual bees using the Illumina Infinium platform. Final quality control
filtering left 4094 reliable SNPs to build a statistical model using machine
learning (ML) algorithms for assignment of European honey bees to 14
different genetic origins. The best model was the Linear Support Vector
Classifier (Linear SVC) which could correctly assign 96.2% of the tested
samples to their genetic origin. Thus, the here presented method accurately
identifies European subspecies, which is crucial to support management
strategies in sustainable honey bee breeding and conservation programs.

There is quite an in-depth treatment of the 'C' lineage in this paper,
showing that while these related subspecies are similar, they are
genetically distinct.

And then there is this- which is encouraging:

Consequently, as the bees included in this project were collected in a vast
area ranging from Russia and Armenia in the East to Portugal in the West,
and from Malta in the South to Scotland in the North, we conclude that much
of the natural diversity of European honey bees can still be considered
extant, in spite of human interference since more than 150 years.