From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2024 10:11:32 -0400
To:   All state and local bee group leaders

                As most of us know,  the current rules for many of our miticides are way out of touch with reality and timing  with the varroa problems we face today.

What you may not be aware of is that there is a strong push for our mite treatments to be switched  from the EPA to FDA control.   While we have been advised there are no “immediate plans”  none the less they have stated that is their intention.  A switch of this nature is going to make getting approved miticides almost impossible,  and with us also being on the cusp of a new mite problem in Tropilaelaps, many of us are deeply concerned. This is our chance to help the industry get into compliance, and ensure the process is optimized for the future.

Towards that concern we have over the last 8 months, crafted an actual legislative ask,  which we hope to push into the farm bill.  Since the current farm bill has been delayed, we have a small window.   Keep in mind this is a real legislative change to FIFRA we are proposing, not just a simple rule change which could be ignored.

We are asking for your help in this matter.  Please take a good look at the attached Legislative Ask.  Myself, Randy Oliver and several other industry leaders and experts have worked on this. It is the product of a lot of studying and discussion and believe we have refined it so it will be acceptable to all.

Here are the actual ASK.

Proposed policy plan:

 Requested changes to FIFRA