From:
Russ Litsinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:05:49 -0500
>Lowe, R. et al. (2022) ‘Chromatin accessibility-based characterisation of brain gene regulatory networks in three distinct honey bee polyphenisms’

Very interesting research. Thank you for posting. Glad to see that Dr. Hurd was one of the contributors.

I thought this little tidbit was interesting - have to think on this one a bit more:

'... relative to queen/worker, throughout our analyses we observe that the greatest separation is between haploid male and diploid female adult phenotypes, suggesting that in addition to the genetic-determination of sex, chromatin-based mechanisms may also play an important role, possibly in the maintenance of the sex-determined state. This is supported by the fact that drones also have a distinct diet (both quantity and quality), strongly implying that other non-genetic factors, which likely operate via epigenomic mechanisms, are involved in determining the drone polyphenism.'

It seems the more we learn, the more factors appear to be at work in the arena of phenotypic plasticity.