Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2023 17:32:34 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
> 1) Take a plastic CD/DVD case, and cut the "flap" end away with a razor-blade knife.  

>> Is the case installed between frames opening up, down, doesn’t matter?  There are 2 beeks in this valley & neither of us have SHB but it appears to be all around us

I don't know if orientation matters.
I've not had SHB problems, but those who have used this approach in the MD / Northern VA area, where they are rampant, have laid them flat on the top bars.

There are "slim" CD/DVD cases that are about 5mm thick and would fit with room to spare within "bee space", or at the side of a hive body.

I was told that there are multiple YouTube videos where everything from Boric Acid to fipronil is put in CD/DVD cases to combat SHB, so there may be some experienced suggestions among those videos on the finer points of positioning the cases.

(There's a first - me suggesting YouTube as a source of valid information about practical beekeeping!)

One advantage of "rooftop beekeeping" is that there is no soil into which SHB larvae can dig in and pupate.  Even the "green roofs" have a far to shallow soil depth, it seems.  So, I'll continue to keep my bees atop literal "ivory towers", as the bees are free from all predators except birds, and also a number of pests.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2