Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2023 18:31:08 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
>Any ideas, references, etc. for measuring carrying capacity?

First one must consider what "carrying capacity" is for your own objective. True most places will support a colony or two but does support mean stay alive with little feeding or be a strong colony that produces significant surplus. In my own operation in very rural Eastern WA I have yards that I have used for many years. Depending on spring moisture I have learned pretty well what to expect. The landscape is predominately industrial scale agriculture but with pockets of diverse forage in the hollows and stream valleys. Without other commercial competition a location of 24 colonys can easily yield 150# average up to 300# on a great year. Back when I had many more colonys the same yard of 48 would yield 1/2 to  2/3 of that. Commercial guys that place 200 are only reducing their feeding bill hoping to make it until next almond contract. 

In a given location I would measure the yield. If it is over 100# clearly more colonys will do well. If less than 50 it is probably near capacity. It takes some time but the bees will tell what you need to know. 

Paul

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2