From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2023 18:31:08 -0400
>Any ideas, references, etc. for measuring carrying capacity?

First one must consider what "carrying capacity" is for your own objective. True most places will support a colony or two but does support mean stay alive with little feeding or be a strong colony that produces significant surplus. In my own operation in very rural Eastern WA I have yards that I have used for many years. Depending on spring moisture I have learned pretty well what to expect. The landscape is predominately industrial scale agriculture but with pockets of diverse forage in the hollows and stream valleys. Without other commercial competition a location of 24 colonys can easily yield 150# average up to 300# on a great year. Back when I had many more colonys the same yard of 48 would yield 1/2 to  2/3 of that. Commercial guys that place 200 are only reducing their feeding bill hoping to make it until next almond contract.

In a given location I would measure the yield. If it is over 100# clearly more colonys will do well. If less than 50 it is probably near capacity. It takes some time but the bees will tell what you need to know.

Paul