Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 2023 11:35:35 -0500
>"The map from the US National Phrenology Network shows just how useless
"growing degree days" have become, and how much earlier "spring" tends to be
these days."

It is very useful to me.
For example, historically I've recorded silver maple bloom to begin in the 250 GDD range using a 32* base.
Silver maple began blooming in that range this year. Grey alder historically in the 325 -350 range using the same base.
Expect pussy willow in the 500 GDD range, and box elder the same.
Perhaps many do not know how to utilize GDD for maximum benefit to their beekeeping?

>"The "first leaf out", and hence the blooms, are getting ahead of the bees'
ability to build up a foraging force for most of the USA."

I believe that is where management comes in and the use of supplements, in this case, to build the bees to compensate for the current conditions
and to meet the needs of beekeeper with their bees.