From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2022 07:18:52 -0500
To clarify, the agreement I mentioned  did NOT involve an attorney. It was
written up by two laymen - myself and the VP of the Co-Op apartment's board.

I was not suggesting in any way that one should go to the expense of hiring
an attorney to write up an agreement over a few hives on someone's land, but
my hives were on their roof, so we needed some sort of ground rules, such as
how many days' notice would be required if workmen asked that the hives be
temporarily relocated, and assurances that I would never ever move any scary
bees or possibly drippy honey on anything but the freight elevator, and out
the service entrance.  So, reasonable considerations, phrased in plain
English, by two people who openly stated their "worst-case scenario" fears
to each other, and addressed each of them.  The result is a "lease, as your
bees are tenants on someone else's property.

The litigation expenses were covered by the usual ISO GBL insurance, as it
was clearly my "business activities" that got me named as a defendant in the
lawsuit.  Once again, treating one's beekeeping hobby as a tiny business
saved the day.  But not being stingy with honey certainly helped, and
putting a screened dining tent around one hive and opening it up to show the
bees in up-close detail to a few children and grandchildren certainly did
not hurt.  It is a very reassuring thing to have a group of people speak of
"our bees", when all they do is live below them.