Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2022 18:22:55 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
The research paper cited is very shabby. It tries to link "The ink used to print the newspaper" and  "various major individual well-being implications such as neurotoxicity, cardiovascular diseases, kidney diseases, various cancer, liver failure, lung damages, weak bones and even death in cases of extremely high contagion." This is just in the abstract. While I would never buy hot food wrapped in newspapers, I seriously doubt it would lead to any of the above consequences. 

That being said, the OP tries to link this with putting a scrap of newspaper in a bee smoker. Again, this is seldom done on a regular basis, most smoker fuel can be lit directly (pine needles, dried leaves, burlap, etc.). A lot of folks these days light their smokers with those cheap torches made for lighting barbecues. Very occasionally I have put newspaper in my smoker to start it and have even used brown paper for fuel. It's well known that any smoke contains a wide range of toxins and you aren't supposed to inhale any of it (! warning to cannabis smokers !). 

I have seen things burned in smokers that pale in comparison: I worked for a guy who burned burlap laced with used crankcase oil to make it last longer. I have alway preferred natural materials but I am not a stickler. Good clean burlap seems the best choice, although once the smoker is lit you can add hardwood pellets and this smokes for a very long time. 

Anyway, beekeepers run the spectrum from ones who don't ever use smoke, to ones who burn filthy old rags. I wager if you are not taking a drag off the smoker, you will probably not shorten your life measurably. Being a beekeeper will add years due to spending time outdoors in the fresh air. Life is risky

Pete B

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2