Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2022 00:07:08 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I recently introduced some new queens (very different genetics). 
-1 introduced to a single was well received and she was laying a storm.
-1 introduced to a 6 frame nuc was being harassed when I checked in on her and she flew off. Luckily I was able to capture her and re-cage her. I put her back in the box. A reader mentioned push cages in one of my videos, I read up on them and the next morning a fabed (3"x3"X1" using 1/8th mesh) one in a few minutes and used it to re-introduce her to the small colony. I made sure there was a bit if honey, open cells and bee bread. Another reader mentioned that I should have placed it over some capped brood too. I released her from the push cage 2 days ago and today she was happily moving on the frames.
-2 other introduced queens are MIA, both colonies had some capped queen cells. Either I missed some of these cells during my 4 day post old queen check or they allowed the new queen to lay some eggs and then offed her. The math works out on the second scenario. They would have been released 10 days ago. There were also a couple of fully capped frames of brood that were not there previously.

I discovered the MIA queens today, so I re-captured the new queen in the 6 frame nuc, pushed caged her on top of capped brood, honey/pollen and open cells in a large double with one of the MIA queens. I will newspaper combine a queen right single with the other failed re-queening. I also introduced a frame of bees with 3 capped queen cells into the 6 frame nuc to see if they can requeen themselves. It would be half Carpathian (mother) and half my local stock (Carnolian and Saskatraz) (Drones).

Never a dull moment. https://youtu.be/QVc7AVG3cWk

My questions:

-Do's and Don'ts of push cages?
-Preferred cage size?
-how long do I leave her in there?
-Can you start right away with the push cage or should you introduce the queen cage 1st with the cork?
-Any other push cage best practices or advice?

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2