From:
Etienne Tardif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2020 19:44:41 -0500
Hi All,

I've attached my way of visualizing and comparing Bee weather in different locations (using local weather hourly/daily data). I have used BC Beekeeping Bulletin #111 as a basic reference and most of my other values are from my local observations. As some of you know I have collected brood rearing temperature data to determine starts and stops, mapped out my bloom calendar and nectar flows with hive scales and I am now measuring 4 to 6 points in my wintering hives (singles/doubles) to better understand wintering in northern climes and clustering behaviour. I am also wintering a 5 frame nuc in between 2 singles outdoors to determine if we can be successful up here. They are all doing fine. The nuc is however showing some signs of stress (+/- 2 deg fluctuations). This will be another topic of discussion once I compile more data. I started using basic heat transfer formulas, metabolic rates and internal wall temps vs outside temps to estimate energy requirements. Goal is to convert Cluster Degree Hours (in the doc) to heating units vs R value of hive setup.

I also use these as teaching tools during my intro course to introduce bee foraging behaviours but also illustrate some of the challenges (micro climates, excessive rain, wind effects, forage hour quality, etc...).

I am always looking for feedback and opportunities to improve.
Link to PDF document - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j9VU5oT7WoGo8gUtSdo_HI8Q40hw0kkC
Link to folder with associated documents and excel templates - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pzX7tQHyXCkmIQhl8N_ekfM3r0Qa8f-9

Any thoughts?
Etienne