From:
Beekeepers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2022 21:42:26 +0100
>I have stumbled onto two interesting videos here...

I did enjoy the video about cerana (although spot the mistake about treating varroa with antibiotics).
My experience with cerana has been limited to southern India (Kerala and Tamil Nadu) where they are very docile and nobody even owns a veil.  Lovely bees to work and I estimated that you could keep 5 colonies of cerana to 3 mellifera and get the same crop - without having to treat them or feed them much.
Although keeping them in walls is traditional, they are easily kept in cheap boxes and are migrated from the north of Kerala down to Tamil Nadu following the flow from rubber (we met a beekeeper doing that with 25,000 colonies).
I just cannot imagine why anyone in cerana country would want to struggle with mellifera.  Horses for courses as they say.

The solitary bee video will have to wait - far too much happening at the moment!

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W