From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2022 12:29:46 -0500
> The concept of survivor stock leads to many questions. The major issue is that survivor bees are not necessarily selected for Varroa resistance or tolerance, as other pressures may be the main driver of selection in a given season. The pressures include weather, nutrition factors, other pests or diseases, etc. Furthermore, just because a stock of bees can survive Varroa infestation does not necessarily make them bees that you would want to keep.

> Without selection, the traits that beekeepers desire (gentleness, honey production, spring build-up, etc.) may be lost within a short amount of time. Until survivor bees are able to demonstrate productivity as well as survivability, they will likely not gain much popularity among the world’s commercial beekeepers. While the possibility of developing survivor stock, arguably, has been demonstrated, its practical usefulness has not.  -- Cameron J. Jack and James D. Ellis. Journal of Insect Science, (2021) 21(5): 6; 1–32

comment: I remember being in the audience where someone was giving a talk about survivor bees. I stood up and said "Nature's plan for honey bee survival is the African Bee." Another person in the room stood up and said "How do you know what Nature's plan is?" I wanted to tell her that I had a direct line with Mother Nature, but I sat down instead.

Pete B